*Disclaimer: I received this product to review. All opinions are my own.*
Valentine's Day. The day of candy and flowers. Chocolate is good, but there are other great candies to celebrate the day too. How about Mike and Ike? Now that's a sweet treat that everyone in my house loves. It's perfect for this holiday with their special Valentine boxes too.
MIKE AND IKE and HOT TAMALES Valentine's Day Varieties
Are the Perfect Candy To Share With Loved Ones
Bethlehem, PA (January, 2014) - Share the passion of Valentine's Day by surprising special loved ones in your life this Valentine's Day with limited edition varieties from MIKE AND IKE and HOT TAMALES candy. MIKE AND IKE Passion Mix, is hitting the shelves just in time for Valentine's Day! Your favorite "hottie" will love to receive special edition HOT TAMALES Cinnamon candy with special HOTTIE Valentine's Day graphics. Go the extra mile for your Valentine this year and create some tasty recipes featuring MIKE AND IKE and HOT TAMALES candies! These recipes were created by Chef Jamie Geller as part of her recent alliance with the leading candy brands.
MIKE AND IKE Passion Mix and HOT TAMALES Hottie both come in a 5 oz box, and are the perfect addition to any Valentine's Day gift. The MIKE AND IKE Passion Mix blend includes Paradise Punch, Strawberry, Grape and Cherry flavors. HOT TAMALES special edition for Valentine's Day is the classic Cinnamon flavor everyone loves and the box comes ready to gift with a tag fully integrated into the packaging! SRP for both 5oz boxes is $1.00 - $1.39.
"There is nothing sweeter on Valentine's Day than candy," says Koren Ivie, Brand Manager for MIKE AND IKE and HOT TAMALES candy. "We are sure consumers will fall in love with MIKE AND IKE Passion Mix as well as HOT TAMALES with Valentine's Day packaging!"
What we thought: This family likes MIKE AND IKE and HOT TAMALES already. My son isn't a fan of the hot cinnamon, so he opts for the fruity MIKE AND IKE. And my husband prefers the HOT TAMALES. Honestly, I like both. We really enjoy the Valentine's Day packaging. They are great little packs that include a spot to write a special message to your loved one. I made sure to give the HOT TAMALES to Matt and sign it "Your Hottie"!
When I saw the recipes for using these candies, I was intrigued. I would have never thought to put MIKE AND IKE or HOT TAMELES in a recipe. But the cookies sound really good. I'm planning to try them soon. (See the recipes below.)
Where to buy: The Valentine's Day MIKE AND IKE Passion Mix and HOT TAMALES are available in stores.
BeJeweled MIKE AND IKE Cookies
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Ready Time: 25 min
- 1 1/2 Boxes of MIKE AND IKE Passion Mix
- 2/3 cup margarine - cold
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixer bowl, put 2/3 c. margarine, 1 c. sugar, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix until well creamed.
- Add in 2 c. flour and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- Add in chopped up MIKE AND IKE Passion Mix, mix into a dough (will be slightly sticky).
- Roll into 1 inch balls. Place on cookie sheets lined with baking paper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Centers will be slightly soft.
- Let cool.
HOT TAMALES Snickerdoodles
Servings: 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) HOT TAMALES Candies, coarsely chopped*
- 1/4 (2 oz) salted margarine, softened
- 1/4 (2 oz) shortening
- 3/4 (5.6 oz) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt (increase to 1/4 tsp if using unsalted margarine)
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
*This candy is quite sticky so the best way to chop it is with a lightly oiled knife.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the margarine, shortening and 3/4 cups sugar. Add the egg and beat until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients (except the candy) into the creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Add the chopped candy and mix until the candy is evenly distributed, a few minutes more.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 15 minutes (this makes it easier to handle).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Form dough into balls the size of small walnuts (or use a tablespoon scoop). Roll the balls of cookie dough in the cinnamon sugar.
- Place the cookies two inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake for 8 minutes, rotating the cookie sheets in the oven at the halfway point. They are done when they look puffed in the middle and slightly brown at the edges (the tops of the cookies will form cracks). Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven and let cookies sit on it for another minute or so before removing to cooling rack; cookies will flatten out as they cool.
- These cookies are best served warm, straight out of the oven, but they can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days.